Transactional Analysis is a wide ranging and sophisticated psychological theory, with ideas on how we become who we are, how we relate to others and how we can make personal changes. It has a strong cognitive behavioral element i.e. how we think about and view ourselves and the world and how this affects our behavior.
However, the theory also incorporates a relational depth theory, with a whole methodology enabling therapists to work to effect deeper emotional change within their clients.
Existential Therapy & Relational Psychoanalysis
I am also interested in many other ideas in the therapeutic field. Specifically the person centred methodology of Carl Rogers, the work of the existential therapists such as Irving Yalom, and Ernesto Spinelli, and the writings of the relational psychoanalysts Stephen Mitchell, Lewis Aron & Paul Wachtel.
I am very interested in giving attention to the body in psychotherapy. In connection with this, I have trained with Merete Holm Brantbjerg in the Relational Trauma Therapy approach to body work and with Sandra Reeve in her Move into Life movement practice.
Therapy in a Natural Setting
My area of clinical specialism is outdoor psychotherapy. I believe the use of nature and 'wild' settings can deepen a client's awareness and connection with themselves. This is turn can promote a powerful connection with others and the environment. (see my Outdoor Therapy page for more details)
I am constantly refining my approach to psychotherapy through further training, regular monthly supervision and my own personal therapy. This keeps my work fresh and alive, and is a necessary element in working effectively and ethically with my clients.
This is consistent with my belief that therapy is essentially the 'art' of 'being with' people. i.e. the use of a relationship to affect 'change' in the client (although the therapist is often changed by the experience too!) Therapeutic work requires the therapist to be willing and able to be with, and accept, a client's feelings, thoughts and experiences.
- I am a Certified Transactional Analyst, which means that I have completed four years of Advanced Clinical Training in Transactional Analysis Psychotherapy, and passed my final written dissertation and oral exam.
- I am a Provisional Teaching and Supervising Transactional Analyst, which means I am supervisor and trainer endorsed by the European Association of Transactional Analysis (EATA).
- I have a Diploma in Creative Approaches to Supervision.
- I am listed in the UKCP Directory of Approved Supervisors.
- I have a MSc in TA Psychotherapy, in which I focused on outdoor therapy.
- I am a fully registered member of the United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP), and of the International Association of Relational Transactional Analysis (EATA).
- I abide by the code and ethics of ITAA, EATA and UKCP.
- I am a teaching member of the International Transactional Analysis Association (ITAA) and EATA, and a member of International Association of Relational Transactional Analysts (IARTA).
- I am a founder member of CAPO (Counsellors and Psychotherapists Outdoors).
If you are interested in working with or would like to find out more, please call me on 07540303536, or contact me by email.
Contact me by email